HOW TO CREATE A WEBSITE IN FOUR EASY STEPS
STEP 1: Choose a website building platform
First thing you have to do is to select the best website building platform. Before you start worrying about colour schemes and domain names, you’ve got to decide what platform you’re going to build your website with.
Three Most Popular Site Building Platforms in 2016
STEP 2: Choose your website address (www.)
To get a new website online, you’re going to need two things:
- A domain name (a web address like yoursitename.com)
- Hosting (a service that connects your site to the internet)
When you get a domain name, you’ll also get a personal email account(s): you@YourSite.com – way more professional than a generic Gmail or Yahoo address.
Already have a domain name and hosting? Go ahead and skip ahead to step 3, where we’ll explain how you can set up your website.
STEP 3: Set up your website
Once you’ve bought your domain name and set up your hosting, you’re well on your way!
Now it’s time to get your website up and running. The first thing you’ll need to do is install WordPress to your domain.
Almost every reliable and well-established hosting company has integrated 1-click-installation for WordPress, which makes getting going a snap.
Here are the steps you should follow (should be similar/same on all the major web hosting companies):
- Log in to your hosting account.
- Go to your control panel.
- Look for the “WordPress” icon.
- Choose the domain where you want to install your website.
- Click the “Install Now” button and you should get access to your NEW WordPress website.
STEP 4: Customize your website
Once you have successfully installed WordPress to your domain, you’ll see a very basic yet clean site:
1. Log into your WordPress dashboard
If you’re not sure how, type in: http://yoursite.com/wp-admin (replace “yoursite” with your domain).
This is what the WordPress dashboard looks like:
2. Access FREE themes
Once you’re in the dashboard, you’ve got access to over 1500 free themes! Just look along the side bar for “Appearance”, then click “Themes”:
3. Install your new theme
Once you have found a theme you like, installing it is as simple as clicking “Install” followed by “Activate”:
How do I add content and create new pages?
With your theme installed, you’re ready to start creating content. Let’s quickly run through some of the basics:
Adding and editing pages
Want a “Services” page, or an “About Me” page (like we have on the menu at the top of the site?)
1. Look along the sidebar in the WordPress Dashboard for “Pages” -> “Add New”.
2. Once you’ve clicked, you’ll find a screen that looks a lot like what you’ve maybe seen in Microsoft Word. Add text, images and more to build the page you want, then save it when you’re done.
Adding pages to the menu
If you want your new page to be linked to in your navigation bar,
1. Save any changes you’ve made to the page by clicking “Update”
2. Click “Appearance” -> “Menus” in the sidebar of the WordPress Dashboard
3. Find the page you created and add it to the list by clicking the checkbox next to it and then “Add to Menu”.
HOW TO SET A FAVICON
A favicon is an image associated with a particular web page. Many important companies display them as a visual reminder of their web site identity in the address bar. It is the icon which appears next to the URL of the web. As you can see, we have created one, do you want to know how? It is very easy!
- First of all, you have to chose a picture, the one you want but mind that it is very small so if it has a lot of details people won’t appreciate them. It is better if you save it as a .png image because the background will be transparent and it gives the blog more professionality.
- When you have the image log in your blog in wordpress and look for ‘Settings’, in general settings you will see on the right ‘Blog picture’. Click on ‘Select file’ and that is all.
- Finally, you have to see this next to the URL, of course, with the picture you have chossen.